Our natural teeth are strong, and it is possible to preserve their resilience by maintaining regular dental hygiene and visiting the dentist for checkups at least two times annually. However, if you suffer any dental trauma or if your teeth become severely decayed, many different treatment options are available, which can help you regain the original appearance of your teeth.
If you have a missing tooth, a dental crown is one of the best ways to fill in that gap, regain your smile and bite. We at Hunsaker Dental are a leading dental practice that offers general dentistry, orthodontic, cosmetic dentistry, and sleep apnea services at all our locations-Salem, Aumsville, and Monmouth.
We are focused on providing patients with all the information they need to make an informed decision about the treatment they want. Our Salem dentist will assess the condition of your teeth to determine whether a crown is the right option for you. We will take the time to explain exactly what dental crowns are, how they work, how long they will last, and the maintenance they need.
Understanding what a dental crown is-
A dental crown is a prosthetic tooth used in restorative dentistry treatments. This prosthetic may be used to cover a dental implant or a tooth with a root canal. When used to replace a missing tooth, it provides stability to the adjacent teeth, improves the bite and the appurtenance of the smile. When used to cap a root canal, it helps protect the underlying tooth from any kind of damage, while restoring it to its original size and shape.
When will we recommend a dental crown?
As mentioned earlier, our expert dentist will conduct a thorough examination of your teeth before recommending any dental treatment, including a dental crown. Our aim is always to preserve our patient’s natural teeth, but there are times when a dental crown becomes the best solution, such as:
- Dental implant
- Root canal
- Worn down/broken tooth
- Dental bridge
- Excessively discolored teeth
- A tooth with a very large filling
- Cosmetic restoration procedure
Types of crowns
When you come to our dentist Salem Oregon for treatment, we will always provide options so you can decide what works best for you, both practically and financially. Dental crowns could be made from various materials such as:
- Porcelain/Ceramic – These crowns look very much like natural teeth, and most patients prefer these. With basic maintenance and care, they can last for several years.
- Porcelain Fused With Metal – This type of Salem dental crown is the perfect blend of resilience and a natural appearance. The cap is made of metal and has a porcelain coating which makes the prosthetic indistinguishable from the adjacent natural teeth.
- All Metal – These crowns could me made of silver or gold. They are durable, wont chip or break, but are very noticeable, which is why very few patients opt for them.
For more information about dental crowns, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Hunsaker Dental.